7.04.2016

[Long since] Finished: Patternless Half-Circle Skirt in Navy/White Linen


Otherwise known as the essential Southern [US] skirt.

I would say I'm pulling this one from the depths of my closet, as I made it a little over two years ago, but the truth is, it has been in constant rotation each summer!  I'm sure the reasons are obvious: 1. it's linen and this is Georgia, and 2. navy and white are two of my favorite neutrals (yes, navy is a neutral in my world ;) )

This was the second in a line of half-circle skirts (the first of which was posted here).  With a hit or miss sewjo, their simplicity was just far too tempting.  Well that, and the fact that I decided about a week before a vacation that I needed as many new garments as possible! haha  By simplicity, in this case, I mean a relative lack of fitting (if the waistband fits, it works! Whether it's flattering, is a different story altogether) and the fact that it is unlined!  Long-time readers may remember how rare that is for me.  But, it's hard to argue with the impracticality of an additional layer when bracing for scorching heat and sticky humidity.

Side note: Have you ever looked back over old sewing notes?  It's a bit like reading an old diary.  Apparently, while I considered the Ikat print to be out of my comfort zone, it came home with me the same day I first saw it.  After stopping at it three times.  The navy and white made this a suitable gateway print ;)

If you've never made a half-circle skirt before, I highly recommend it for a quick project!  It's just one main piece of fabric, sewn with a center-back zip, and attached to a waistband.  The downside to this skirt, however, is how much fabric it "requires".  The width of the hem means you need at least 2 yards.  You open the fabric and fold it lengthwise, cut-edge to cut-edge.  The upside is, the scraps may be large enough for a pair of shorts or a pencil skirt - I plan to make shorts with the remnants from this one.  

  • Note:  Despite the speed with which this project can be sewn (it took me four hours total), don't save it for any last-minute plans.  The hem should ideally drop for 48 hours.  At least 24, depending on how heavy or drapey your fabric is.

For the icing on the cake (read: to far surpass RTW), level the hem after dropping by having a friend measure up from the floor while wearing the skirt.  This will account for your curves, making the skirt look like a perfect fit :)

I have two more of these to share with you soon. I'd say four is a good place to stop for now, but you never know!

How many is too many of one type of skirt?



Sunglasses: Ray-Ban  /  Sweater: J.Crew  /  Skirt: Handmade  /  Shoes: DV by Dolce Vita (old)

Happy sewing! And Happy Independence Day to my American friends! x

4 comments:

  1. New posts from you always make me so excited! Looks wonderful as always Jenny! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment!! I'm so glad you enjoy them ☺️ Thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love this outfit! The skirt is great and the fact that you wear it so much says how classic it is. Navy is a neutral in my world too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margo!! I suspect it will be one of my staples for some time. One can never go wrong with navy or a classic silhouette 😀

      Delete

Let's keep the conversation going! Feel free to comment below or on Instagram!

If you want to comment without linking to your profile (or if you don't have an account), please choose "Name/URL" from the drop-down and leave your first name (website optional) so I know who I'm responding to. I can't wait to read your feedback! x